Friday, June 29, 2012

Sleeping Hurdles

Sleeping has been the biggest struggle for us and it continues...it seems as though we get over one hurdle and another sleep hurdle pops up. I am beyond exhausted. Yes, I know, the books say you shouldn't use TV to put a child to bed and that is what I had resorted to not too long ago because it was the only thing that seemed to calm Connor down. I think he needs both an audio and visual distraction in order to calm himself down enough, and stay still enough, to go to sleep. The last few weeks we have faced a new obstacle...he doesn't want you to turn the TV off. I think what has changed is he is now watching the shows, and understanding the stories more, so he keeps himself awake for them. I've been trying to get him into bed and let him watch a couple shows then saying "sleepy time" and cuddling with him. Oh, has he been getting mad. Last night was the worst. I don't know if he has just started to have some of the night terrors that I have heard about or if he's teething or any other number of toddler upsets! If I turned the tv off he would completely lose it...even if his eyes were closed...and would not calm down. Not his usual, I'm angry about this but a truly heartbreaking cry. After 20 minutes of scream crying I just left the tv on and went to sleep! Then I woke up and turned it off later in the night. At about 3am, he woke up SCREAMING and NOTHING would calm him down. He kept asking for tv! This is a first, he never wakes through the night anymore. He was sooooo upset. After 20-25 mins of inconsolable crying, Chris said just turn on the bloody tv!! Connor calmed right down and then we both fell asleep (to wake up again at 4am to turn it off and then I have to get up at 5am for work). I've tried every sleep tactic and I don't know what to do with this child. I wish I could just relax about sleep and have the confidence to just let it be but I stress that he isn't getting enough sleep. He is so happy though so I keep trying to remind myself that if he was truly sleep deprived he wouldn't always be smiling. Every child has their one major obstacle and sleep seems to be ours. I just have to thank my lucky stars that he is a very happy child! I just desperately need the confidence to ignore people's comments when they ask me about sleeping...

2 comments: