Friday, June 8, 2012

Boobies and Babies!

Nursing can be such a sensitive topic. Do you nurse or use formula? Do you nurse till they're one or two years old? Do you nurse in public? Do you let it all hang out or cover the girls up? Do you enjoy the bonding of it? Do you stress over milk production?...the list of questions and concerns is ongoing. I personally loved nursing and the bonding of it but I had a really rough start. Nursing is on the forefront of my mind at the moment because I just stopped nursing Connor (Yes, he's 20 months). It has been an emotional week for both Connor and I. We've been trying to stop for a couple of weeks and then I think I stopped producing milk. He got very angry and upset about it so I let him latch and when nothing came out he had a full blown hissy fit! Everyone has differing opinions on how late to nurse but for me I had originally thought I would be done at a year but Connor wouldn't take a bottle and still seemed to need that time with me so we continued on until I felt he was ready. I wasn't running around town nursing him but snuggling and nursing him for 10 mins before bed. I would get some really dirty looks from people that asked about it and then get encouragement from the public health office. The world health organization and the Canadian government both encourage nursing until the age of 2 so that is what I decided to go with in the end. I think it is a very personal decision and that only the mother can decide what is right for timing. Some people don't enjoy the experience and find it stressful but still try to make it to 6 months. I think nursing is wonderful but I struggled for the first 3 months to get him to latch properly and almost gave up on it a few times so I think that people who decide to go the formula route for whatever reason shouldn't be judged and mothers that nurse for a couple years should be left alone as well. The whole experience should be enjoyable and right for both mother and child. Now that it has really sunk in that we are done, I kind of want to cry! I was ready to finish but that bonding experience was amazing and I loved it. I know we will be bonding in different ways now but it still emotional for me...and Connor. For moms that struggle with the first few months I encourage you to go to le leche league meetings. They helped me figure it out and I'm really happy that I had that bonding cuddle time with Connor.

No comments:

Post a Comment