Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pinches and Kisses

You have to love toddlers and the fact that you don't know if they are going to pinch the kid next to them or kiss them! Watching parents react to their kids is almost equally amusing. You have parents that freak out over every bit of child contact and then you have parents that are totally laid back and are unconcerned as long as no one is hurt. Very rarely do parents fit in the middle spectrum. I think I'm somewhere in the middle but someone watching me could very well think otherwise. I'd like to be unconcerned but I always feel bad when I know that Connor's loving isn't appreciated by the other parents!

My day home was closed yesterday so I took Connor to a mom and tot coffee shop for some quality mom and toddler play time. We had a blast but I never knew what Connor was going to do next. Some kids he adores and others...he just pinches to keep them at bay! He's also got a really good overhand throw which he's testing out everywhere....and aim isn't great so I had to catch his hand a few times so he didn't nail a baby with a wooden toy! There was only one kid that I really had to keep him separated from. He doesn't like (I know this sounds mean) but dirty kids. The kids with snot all over their faces he is really opposed to coming anywhere near him and will continue to pinch and push until they leave. I was really struggling to keep the stern face on yesterday because honestly, as mean as it is the kid was gross, and Connor wanted him away. Of course I would catch him pinching and tell him we don't pinch and have a little chat and redirect him to a different area but I don't really know what else you can do at this age. Other kids he goes running up to he gives a huge hug and a big kiss while he has them pinned (so far, to his fathers delight, that has only happened with little girls!). I don't know how you other moms feel about contact but I would love to know your thoughts because what makes me uncomfortable is how the other parents feel about their kids being loved by another kid. Right now, I just try to accept that you have to let them play and be kids and every parent will react different so Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be).

No comments:

Post a Comment