Monday, August 27, 2012

Mommy Instinct

I always tell everyone...trust your instinct...ignore most of the advice you get and do what is right for your child. Well...I should have stayed home on Wednesday when I wrote my last post about how guilty I was feeling. On my way home with a birthday cake in hand for my husband, my cell rings and our care provider says that Connor woke up from him nap feeling worse and was it ok to give him some Tylenol. I, of course, said yes and hurried home (I was about 10 minutes away) cause she sounded really worried. When I got home he didn't even get up off the couch to great me...which is beyond strange...and when I went over to him he just looked at me with his huge blue eyes and his breathing was really raspy. I had a moment of panic. Picked him up and told her to grab his shoes I was taking him to the walk in clinic. Phoned my husband on route and told him to meet us there. It took about an hour to see a doctor who immediately sent us to urgent care with a letter of what he had seen. He wouldn't tell me what he thought it could be just that he's struggling for air and needs a chest x-ray. By the time I got out of the walk in clinic, Chris was waiting ,and the first thing I said to him was "We have to get to urgent care NOW. I'll explain in the car". The whole night was horrible. Breathing masks, medicine, inhalers, baby x-rays (which look like mini torture devices). Later that night they said that it was actually the best case scenario and was pneumonia. Being the best case scenario we could take him home. If there was the slightest change we were to go straight to the Children's Hospital. We got home that night absolutely worn out. You would think that after 3-4 hours of scream crying Connor would have passed out on the way home, but no, so we got his prescription and picked up McD's (instead of the rib birthday dinner I had planned). It was a rough couple days after that but now he is feeling much better, although hates the antibiotics and fights me on it twice a day. I'm still waking up multiple times a night to watch him breath. I don't know how long that will continue but I just need to sit there and watch him breathing to confirm that he is in fact ok. The first night after the warnings to keep an eye on him I don't think I slept at all and would watch his chest for a few minutes every half an hour. I should have trusted how badly I felt about leaving him and stayed home...there has to be something to this mommy instinct.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Laura, I'm so sorry! That sounds absolutely awful - poor baby! I'm glad it's not whatever the more serious thing was and that he's on the mend. You can't second-guess yourself now - how could you possibly have known?! I think you're a really great mom who obviously loves her son very much. You did exactly the right thing and he's recovering now because of you!

    ReplyDelete